Sunday, October 27, 2013

Crazy Pennsylvania Laws


Pennsylvania has made it illegal to touch the belly of a pregnant woman without her permission, pursuant to a harassment case against a man who kept tummy-touching a pregnant lady against her will.

Many of you find this a crazy or stupid law so I have decided to make a list of a few more of the CRAZY laws that are still on the books in Pennsylvania. 


1.  It is illegal to sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors. You ave to wonder how frequently this occurred to make it an actual law. Last time I checked, beds were much more comfortable.

2.  A special ordinance bans housewives from hiding dirt and dust under a rug in a dwelling. My guess is that the story behind this one includes an angry husband in the 1950’s.


3.  You may not sing in the bathtubReally, Pennsylvania? Who’s going to break down my door, set off my home security alarm, and arrest me while I sing into my loofah?

4.  All liquor stores must be run by the state. If you live in PA or have visited here, you know that this one is still strictly enforced with the “Wine and Spirits” stores everywhere. Most residents think it’s a scam that the Liquor Control Board can decide which types of alcohol can be sold in-state, and sets the prices. Everyone I know in the Philly area goes to NJ to buy alcohol, it’s a lot cheaper there.

5.  You may not catch a fish with your hands. That’s like passing a law that you can’t catch a fly with chopsticks. I can’t imagine what prompted lawmakers to pass this one.

6.  It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. Clearly there was no such thing as a “women’s college dorm” when this law was passed. Or maybe it’s meant to promote co-ed campus housing…

7.  It is contrary to Pennsylvania law to discharge a gun, cannon, revolver or other explosive weapon at a wedding. I am so glad I didn’t buy the bride and groom that Civil War cannon they put on their wedding registry.

8.  Danville, PA - All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires. Anyone have a crystal ball?

9.  Morrisville, PA - It is required that a woman have a permit to wear cosmetics. If I lived there, I’d break this law on a daily basis.

10.  Ridley Park, PA - You cannot walk backwards eating peanuts in front of the Barnstormers Auditorium during a performance. Possibly the stupidest law we have. 

11.   Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass. If the horses appear skittish, the motorist must take his car apart, piece by piece, and hide it under the nearest bushes. Seems to me that there would be no more vehicles in Pennsylvania. 

Find great sitters and nannies!




No comments: